Les Miserables (Everyman's Library)

Les Misérables - Victor Hugo, Charles E. Wilbour, Peter Washington ***Read for my Classics Challenge***

To love, or to have loved,—this suffices. Demand nothing more. There is no other pearl to be found in the shadowy folds of life. To love is a fulfilment.

5 Stars.

The musical happens to be one that has remained with me for most of my life upon witnessing it for the first time so long ago. Now finally getting the chance to read Victor Hugo's book is just simply amazing in its own right. Never did I imagine exactly what the musical was translated from into songs would be a weighty tome that sparks much deep thoughts on various matters, while engrossing you within a world that Hugo crafts so seamlessly that just draws you into the dark corners and alleyways of France's darkest secrets of the underground life. Life for these individuals is a miserable existence. It truly is. And that is where Hugo's words come to life.

"It is nothing to die; it is dreadful not to live."

I also loved how in-between the branching storylines where various interesting timbits of historical, philosophical musings, and political elements that underline his story as a whole. They really do add to the experience.

Just oh my gosh, now I have a deeper appreciation for the musical and story than ever before.

This must also be said: I am very pleased to have read this masterpiece. It's lyrical prose that just propels you forth throughout the story leaves you with a haunting promise, one that is a message among the many messages that Hugo has ingrained within this story. Truly beautiful penmanship and a deep pleasure to read. <3

The night was starless and extremely dark. No doubt, in the gloom, some immense angel stood erect with wings outspread, awaiting that soul.