Lighthouse Nights

Lighthouse Nights - Jake Vander Ark ***I received this novel as a request from the author for an honest review.
( And boy am I ever honoured and glad to do so! :3 )

.....I honestly was wondering where my heart went at the end of this one. :c

Like again...WHAT. THE. FUDGING. HELL. DID. I. JUST. READ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

My response as I was reading along was mainly like this: Okay no capitals, okay, that's fine, hmmm oh Jules WHY Trev is a CREEPO ... Oh Gabe, Gabe, Gabe....oh BLOODY HELL NO JOHN .... Emma Emma Emma don't do that .... oh Jules........ wow some people .... WHOA ... OUCH...BRUTAL BURN ....SERIOUSLY?! ... until eventually I felt like I had been drifting and floating along with the story at first only for the wind to start pummeling me followed by a rough beating as it becomes a storm, eventually becoming a natural disaster as I'm ripped and torn to millions and billions of infinite pieces of emotions and feelings... :c

Once again, I'm just stunned. Like that was just a bloody fudging BRILLIANTLY HONEST story. Even reading it late last night (early this morning) I just couldn't stop. It consumed me. Sure the style was hard to get into at first... *coughsenglishmajorherecoughs* ...still if I hadn't read The Accidental Siren ALSO by Jake Vander Ark, I might have been very cautious before beginning mainly because of the subject matter.

Suicide is one of the more fragile topics that authors -- anyone in general -- has to be, mainly because you could either be depressing or bomb horribly. Instead Vander Ark ROCKED it. I've personally seen these kinds of things, even been in Gabe's position myself with trying to convince and talk people out of it. It's a really hard and touchy subject to deal with properly. But for Vander Ark, he accepts the challenge and passes it with flying colours and beyond!

Trev, Jules, Gabe and every other character in the story were honestly real in personality and actions. Although Trev is one hell of a sickening character for me, Vander Ark made me feel sympathy for the dirty rotten sunova at the end...that doesn't make me happy, like seriously?! DDDDD: Still I'm too nice and I will be a victim of sympathic play for even the bad guy. :/ Regardless every character -- I believe both Jules and Gabe were my favourites -- were SO well-developed to the point I just got attached to each, even tried persuading in my own head DON'T DO IT LIFE IS WORTH LIVING JUST GIVE ME THE CHANCE TO SHOW YOU ASDFGHJKL. < / 3 Jules because she is such a multi-dimensional character and Gabe because well he reminds me of myself in more ways than one -- well, more like the first half and he reminds me of someone else.

CURSE YOU VANDER ARK FOR THESE FEELS + FOR BREAKING MY HEART REPEATEDLY ASDFGHJKL. < / 3

The darkness in the novel is startling but it really shows the proper insight into the subject matter at hand. We're dealing with something that shouldn't be taken lightly, and Vander Ark pulls it off wonderfully and more. I got wrapped into the story that Lighthouse Nights is and it was just simply delightful, despite the deep darkness ingrained in the story.

And the poetic prose, oh my, it was like a well-deserving eulogy for those affected by suicide as well as the victims and those helpless to prevent it. A must read style of writing -- I'm jealous. It just draws you in without realizing it and next thing you know, you MUST ABSOLUTELY GET TO THE FUDGING END OR ELSE YOU'LL JUST GO ASDFGHJKL. Vander Ark's style just draws you into the story, and before you know it -- you, the reader have become a part of the story. And the honesty that this story presents is beautifully composed.

Funny story though...I was typing my own story while reading this and I just couldn't keep myself away from the story long enough to work on my own personally lol. Now don't get me wrong, this was the PERFECT distraction to be honest. Just makes me want to work harder on my own to create such an amazing character driven plot-twister stories that just WOWS readers (especially hardcore readers like myself) and stuns them ridiculously amazed. xD

Despite the darkness that this story portrays with the subject matter of suicide, but what kind of story dealing with suicide is EVER sunshine and rainbows? NONE THAT'S WHAT. Regardless of the core of this disheartening despair lies the simple message of hope. It is hope that drives us to never to give up. It is hope that tells us we're not alone in this seemingly dark hour. It is hope that gives us the will to live. It is hope that saves us. It is hope that at the heart of this story.

My only complaint is though...IT'S ONLY 171 PAGES LONG. ASDFGHJKL. TOO DAMNED SHORT. I WANT MORE. I DON'T CARE IF THE STORY IS SUPPOSEDLY "DONE" I WANT MORE. MORE MORE MORE MOAR LAWL. XD

I applaud you Jake Vander Ark, you've done it once again.

If you haven't become one of my favourite authors after The Accidental Siren then Lighthouse Nights certainly did. <3

Thank you for giving me the honour to read and review this personally. It really made my Christmas Break so far. Just thank you. And you've wowed me with the honesty woven into this story (like The Accidental Siren) to the point I could have sworn I knew Trev, Jules and Gabe in real life (which I have known such people like them, its pretty scary to see and read them in words lol).

I can't wait to read another book!

I'm still in awe...surprised I could even sleep last night, or rather this morning after finishing this book.

Just FUDGING BRILLIANT WOW HONESTLY.

Thank you for allowing me to be a part of such an amazing work.

Thank you, just thank you truly. <3