The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: The Icewind Dale Trilogy, Book 1)

The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4) - R.A. Salvatore, Larry Elmore Wow, its been a while since I've read one of these kinds of books ... especially something by R.A. Salvatore, and I must say I wasn't disappointed the slightest.

Rich in detail and imagery, full of magic and action, all the basics of a full fledged novel that is set in the famous Dungeons&Dragons Realm. While I have played the Neverwinter Nights version of where this story is set -- actually reading made me want to rejoin its world for another harrowing quest. It really allows you to become engrossed in the world that is Dungeons&Dragons through the Legend of Drizzt (yes, the current republished version of this is apart of overall series featuring Drizzt, a dark elf or rather to be more correct -- a drow elf).

I really loved how each of the characters have their own dimensions to themselves with their dialogue, personality, status, weaponry, etc etc. There's Drizzt Do'Urden (the drow elf), Bruenor Battlehammer (the dwarf), and introduces two new companions to the series (at least from what I remember lol) which are Regis (the halfling) and Wulfgar (the human barbarian). There's also Catti-Brie and other characters numerous in numbers that I can't really recount them all in this, it would be insane. But the most important ones to take into account besides the good guys would be the villain Akar Kessel and the demon as well as this particular dangerous crystal shard (however I'll spoil if I go too much into this so I'll shut up here).

Overall I really admire and amazed by the level of writing and the descriptions that Salvatore depicts. It flows remarkably well. I just kept reading and reading (mostly on the bus to university) and the next thing I know I'm like 100 pages in or something. I think that's what makes a good book good is the fact how well Salvatore has crafted this book (and the series overall). Some books you read and its like SO sluggish, like BRING ON THE ACTION much? And well Salvatore certainly delivers it in Orc hacking and slashing and so on.

I really enjoy reading R.A. Salvatore because of his writing style and how he makes it come to life. I think it definitely is easier to become engrossed in the story as well as familiarize yourself in this world is the fact you have either played a D&D game of some sort. I know it certainly helped me get into the mindset of the story. But you don't even have to be familiar with the mythos and overall system of D&D to fully enjoy it.

Now onto the second book of this trilogy!

Thanks for reading (and bearing with my nonsensical rambling once again lol). <3