The Book Thief

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak You know I love it when I'm proven wrong and a book actually lives up to the hype and praise. Plus the fact it is set in WWII, I already knew it would be a hard story for me to read (I blame watching Schlinder's List in my 10th grade history class). Regardless this book really left an impact on me.

This has received a 5 stars from me.

At first I was like, "Oh cool Death is like the narrator" and "okay so we're following Lisel the Book Thief" but somewhere along the way I got hooked into the story and didn't even realize it. I got attached to all the characters. They had their strengths and weaknesses, their flaws and wow they just felt really human. My favourites would have to be Rudy, Max, Hans & Rosa Hubermann, etc etc.

Something really struck a chord with me during this. Over the course of this book, I don't know how but I really grew attached to it, and dat ending. OMG. DAT ENDING. KILLED ME. I know this because I was trying REALLY hard not to cry on the bus when I finished it. Broke my heart it did. In more ways than one. I mean, I know I had known from the start that it would be a sad story (they weren't kidding!). Still didn't stop me from crying. And I think if I wasn't on the bus when I finally finished it, I would have cried a lot more.

As the first time reading a Markus Zusak novel, I am definitely kicking myself in the behind for not reading this when I saw it in the library like 6-7 years ago (geezus has it really been THAT long? OY VEY!!!). I had always planned to read it. But whenever I picked it up or saw it up for grabs...it just seemed to be never the right time. But I'm glad I've finally read it.

I just love the writing style that Zusak incorporates into The Book Thief. And the descriptions, OH, I was just mad with jealousy and envy. I only hope to write like that, like painting a picture with words. It's probably one of the most powerful-est things a writer can do is make magic happen with their words.

There's just so many things I loved about this book that I don't think I can do them justice here. I think its best for readers to experience them yourselves. And maybe, just maybe, you'll be entranced like I was too.