The Cuckoo's Calling

The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith “How could the death of someone you had never met affect you so?”

5 stars.

When I first heard about this book, I was rather intrigued. Even more so when truth was revealed behind the author's name of this book--regardless, I truly enjoyed this book. Depicted as a crime noir fiction, The Cuckoo's Calling truly out does itself. Sure it begins slow, but every good mystery does, no?

Following the clues along with Cormoran Strike, the plot is really well developed. Every character, a part from Strike and the lovely Robin (their relationship is truly the highlight of this novel, besides the mystery, truly well ingrained and lovely to read about) hosts their own dark secrets and clues to the supposed 'suicide' of the famous model Lula Landry. As the complex plot unravels, I found myself almost second guessing--truly well thought out and depicted.

I was even delighted to feel right at home, even nostalgic-wise in terms of my classes pertaining to the Mystery Novel and the Celtic Studies courses I undertook during my time at university. There's a sense of pride for myself in an odd way. But besides me, this novel truly pays homage to the detective noir aspect that was visible years ago. I truly loved that feeling, and cannot wait to experience it again when The Silkworm is released.

“I am become a name.”