From five to nine

From five to nine - Miki Aihara 1.5 stars because the art is that good, but that is IT.

WARNING RAGE RANTS GALORE + SPOILERS FOR THIS VOLUME.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Personally I have read a LOT of shoujo manga in my life time. Read all kinds too. The clichéd ones, the terribly overkilling cute adorable ones, the predictable ones, the good, the bad, the gritty, the mature, the whatever else is there...then there's this series, or rather this mangaka (Japanese manga artist)...

Miki Aihara and her works.

I had forgotten how much Miki Aihara's series have angered me (there has only been ONE that changed my mind, but OMFG these other series of hers). The first series I ever read was Hot Gimick and boy...did the ending irked me to no end. Never had I felt so disgusted and enraged about something before that. And I'm just thinking how many others have read this example of abusive relationship, escaped only to return because he was "misunderstood" and never knew of love before her...

JUST NO. JUST NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

It's liek her works are thee Twilight series (plural, of course) in the manga world.

Wait, no.

That wouldn't be fair to the Twilight series here.
yes, im defending it, good gravy

This.

This is oh so much worse.

Sure there's the classic makings of the pattern you commonly seem to find in YA and NA and the likes: weak-willed pathetic heroines that keep on ending up with the possessive brutal violent obsessive jerkfaces. I'm sure you know these men very well and how it tends to go...

*shudders*

Granted this time it is a monk, in which they were arranged by an omai (kind of like a set-up blind date-wise akin to a marriage by the way). Then of course Junko has several OTHER guys vying for her, and she's absolutely CLUELESS and naive about it--and she's turning 27.

TWENTY SEVEN YEARS OLD.

JUST UGHHHH.

Junko is an English teacher with BIG dreams, but of course the male sexism is going to ruin that for her. She's forever going on about how she doesn't want to get married, wants to go overseas, and just live out her life--not quit her job and become the wife of a monk. To be honest, I understand that's how she'd like to live her life, but seriously...you don't go sleeping with the guy in the first place and expect him to brush it off, ESPECIALLY IF YOU DO THIS REPEATEDLY WITH THE SAME GUY.

THE SAME FREAKING MONK GUY.

Gurl, you need to seriously reflect and re-evaluate your life. You are seriously sending mixed messages to the guy, and giving him a reason to "claim" you. I mean you even admit it that you're beginning to fall for him.

Just what on earth is this fudgery of a mess?!