Ciel: The Last Autumn Story 1

Ciel: The Last Autumn Story 1 - Ju-Yeon Rhim {October 25th, 2014} MINI REVIEW TIME

TITLE: Ciel: The Last Autumn Story (씨엘)

SYNOPSIS [from MyAnimeList/Wikipedia/etc]:
With the author's characteristic humor and creativity, the work describes one girl’s fantasy adventure. Yvienne Magnolia lives in a small village and her beauty turns the villagers' heads, yet she would never have imagined the grand future destined for her. Because a count tries to kidnap her, Yvienne flees to the Lowood Institution for wizardry and witchcraft, forced to leave her family. In the school, she meets interesting people, like January Lightsphere who comes from a noble but peculiar family, or Lariatte, an heir to an orthodox fighter family, who might yet become her closest friend.

5 stars.

I'd figure I should provide a little detail and information attached to this series. It's a manhwa, hence it's Korean description above here and artistic style being more realistic in a sense. Gorgeously beautiful art and colour is what attracted me to this series in the first place, coupled with the title-- Ciel: The Last Autumn Story; it is also known by it's German counterpart being-- Ciel - Der letzte Herbst. There's influnce of the Victorian age, French aspects mixed with Korean and German as well, which really adds to the story especially when you throw in magic into the fray too.

This series is set in a late nineteenth-century French type of atmosphere, coupled with everything that really attracted me--art, story, characters, intrigue, mystery, magic, and more. This art style happens to be one of my favourites and truly illustrates the unfolding story remarkably well. The characters retain their mysteries, only demonstrating what you need to know thus far and getting familiar with their personalities.

I look forward to seeing how it plays out!