The Giver

The Giver - Lois Lowry “It's the choosing that's important, isn't it?”

Originally going to be 3 stars but then kicked into over drive into 4.5 stars.

Imagine living in a world that is completely perfect, everything's controlled, even colour is gone--this is Jonas' world. I've always heard many things about this book but never got the chance to read it myself. It wasn't until the movie is coming out that I found a copy it somewhere in my house (which surprises me considering i never knew we had one lmao). My brother instantly nagged me to read it, stating it was one of the few books he read and loved, and I can see exactly why that is. Despite it's slow and somewhat confusing start, you get eased into Jonas' world relatively quickly, especially when he's announced to become the Receiver. Now being a Receiver in this community is the highest honour possible.

This is where our story truly begins...

Before I knew it, I was hooked and sucked into this colourless and emotionless world that is Lois Lowry's The Giver. At first I was concerned because it was interesting but felt a bit flat to me, but that's exactly the kind of world these people live in that Lowry illustrates. Now I have another Dystopian novel to add to my very small list of good Dystopian, and let me tell you, I've read LOADS of them.

Now the most intriguing and favourite aspect of this book are the memories. This is truly something different from what I've expected. I'm just glad I held out.

“The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It's the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared.”