Fablehaven

Fablehaven - Brandon Mull “Drink the milk.”

2.5 to 3 stars.

This was certainly a long read for me, which tends to either mean I really loved it or it just dragged nonstop painfully for me. Unfortunately, I'm the later with this book. I really wanted to love and adore this book like the librarian I'm helping did, but while I did like it, I had a few issues with some things, which took away some enjoyment for me. :/

Mainly the main characters--Seth and Kendra, but mostly Seth in general.

Seth, Seth, Seth, his constant stupidity that is repeatedly mistaken as curiosity is the proverbial portrait of "curiosity killed the cat". Still makes me wonder how he didn't get everyone downright killed in this entire mess, most could have been easily avoided too if he just listened. *facepalms*

Kendra, while is questionable with her treatment towards Seth as a big sister especially when using him as a guinea pig, was definitely slightly better than the both of them. It only showed in various parts over the course of the novel though. I'm hoping she'll continue to improve over the course of the series.

Then there's their grandfather.... *sighs* A lot of things could have been prevented if he had been more smart about his ways around both grandkids. Then of course there's the other characters, which definitely improved the story for me.

Will be continuing this series since all five books are at the library I'm volunteering at.

“Smart people learn from their mistakes. But the real sharp ones learn from the mistakes of others.”